Mustafizur Rahman is currently the toast of Bangladesh. The left-arm seamer has grabbed eyeballs after picking back-to-back 5-wicket hauls (in his first two matches) in ODI Cricket in the ongoing series against India. Here are 10 things that you need to know about him:
- Mustafizur Rahman was born on 6 September 1995 in Satkhira (a district in the south-western part of Bangladesh). He was just 3 and half years old when Bangladesh played their first ever World Cup match.
- At a very young age, he started off as a batsman playing with the Tennis ball in his hometown before starting to take his bowling talents seriously.
- His elder brother Mokhlesur Rahman used to ride 40 kilometers with him on his bike every morning to take him to the training area.
- Scouts from Satkhira spotted his talent and picked him to play under-17 tournaments before calling him up for a pace bowling camp at Dhaka.
- Mustafizur’s rise was so rapid that he started bowling in the Bangladesh nets very shortly after he started bowling in the U-19 nets.
- He became a regular for the Under-19 team and even went on to play the World Cup last year picking up 9 wickets in 6 games.
- He made his first-class debut for Khulna division in the 2013-14 season and cemented his spot soon after.
- He went on to pick 26 wickets this season and ended up with the best average among other pacers who picked more than 20.
- His slower deliveries have fetched him most of the wickets so far, but he tried it for the very first time against Anamul Haque only recently during a nets session and got him out.
- He made his international debut in a T20 match against Pakistan and Shahid Afridi was his first wicket.